Friday, October 30, 2009

Color change




After scouring resources and not finding a single source that said "bisque earthenware at 06 and glaze fire to 04" I worked out a deal with the studio where they will let me do the opposite (ie, bisque fire to 04 to burn off all the impurities that are messing with my glazes, and glaze fire to 05 or 06) as long as I store my greenware at home. Which is a challenge, but I am glad to do it in the hopes of finally getting a kiln load fired the way everyone other than them says earthenware needs to be fired. We are calling this an 'experiment' (I roll my eyes). The pictures today show a nice little white earthenware bowl with a stamped design I made using a cast pin made by someone I know in the SCA. I'm very happy with it, but the color chip at the end shows the color the glaze WOULD be if it had been fired correctly (in case this doesn't show well, the glaze is supposed to be light green, and it fired baby blue with a slight greeny tinge). I'm lucky the glaze acted so nicely on the white clay--this is the same glaze that turned purple and electric blue on red earthenware!

No comments:

Post a Comment