Monday, October 12, 2009

good tool, excellent results


I LOVE this tool. We had a home made version of this in the communal tub o'tools at the studio, and I started using it a few weeks ago. I love that it's multi-sided, and well balanced. The problem with the studio's version is that it's a light weight aluminum and dull as a board. The last two plates I trimmed came out looking very messy, I think the dull edge was dragging more than cleanly trimming, and with groggy clay the results weren't pretty. It took a while to find this version (a solid steel with excellent sharp edges) at a reasonable price. It's a Japanese kanna (not all web stores call it that...). The cheapest place I found it was Bailey Pottery (online), and it cost me less than $3.00. Of course there's also the shipping...so I ordered a few other things from them to make that part less painful. I got a couple of birch plywood bats, and am also very pleased with them. They're supposed not to warp, and they absorb water (I just don't *get* using plastic bats). Next time I'm at the studio I'll try to remember to take a couple of shots of trimmed items...

No comments:

Post a Comment